Saturday, June 23, 2007

Waiting and Change

I'm trying to learn patience. It's been two months since we first saw pictures of Neti and Meke. Besides their very basic bio and their passport photos a few weeks ago we know next to nothing about them. As the travel days come closer the fact that I'm a dad again is becoming more real. I'd just like to know more about my kids. I don't need a lot of information, just a little. Another picture might hold me over until we leave. There's a mission trip group with Visiting Orphans that happens to be in Addis Ababa as we speak. They're supposed to visit Neti and Meke's orphanage. We're hoping one of them will snap a photo or two and send it to us. Nothing yet. (This is day 10 of their 14-day trip)

A few nights ago Rhonda and I were watching a PBS program about Somali refugee families who relocated to the U.S. We know that there's going to be a huge adjustment for our girls. Watching this documentary makes us realize just how big it will be. They're walking into a world unlike anything they've experienced before. The littlest things - the things we take for granted every day - will be foreign to them. This video is just a small excerpt of the documentary called Rain in a Dry Land. Watch the looks on their faces as the teacher explains our world to these adult Somalis.



These two Somali families came to the U.S. in the winter. One of the mothers looked out of the plane as they were close to landing and asked, "Are those white rocks?" Her husband answered, "No, that's ice that falls from the sky." (Snow) I can only imagine what images went through her mind. And I can only imagine how foreign Neti and Meke's first trip to the supermarket will be. Aisles and aisles of food after receiving one meal per day in the orphanage!?!?

Countdown to major change (for all of us): 13 days.

1 Comments:

At 10:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this journal very much. My husband and I are praying about adopting from Ethiopia. I'm ready to go. He still needs a little time. We just came home with a baby girl from China last Sept.

Also, my husband and I meet with many Somali Bantu families every Tuesday night here in San Antonio, TX. Some dear friends of ours - Larry and Terry Singletary (www.xtremeteamsinternational.com)are teaching the families ESLOP - English as a Second Language for Oral Peoples. My husband and I watch all the children. It started out as a simple child care situation with me watching 7 children - and now 40 children attend and I help manage about 20 volunteers. We're ministering to these families on all levels. A word of encouragement - the children adjust so well, so quickly. The key is to keep them communicating about what they saw and remember from their life in Africa and eventually they will discover that you and your family are a safe place. They will blossom in your love. Can't wait to see pics of them in your arms!!

Blessings,
Cindy Foote
www.billyfoote.com
www.libbysong.com
www.myspace.com/billyfooteband

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home