Wednesday, February 06, 2008

It's Not a Real Worm

I'll probably get in trouble from Rhonda for this post.

Oh well.

When we came home from Ethiopia we brought home an unwelcome guest. Someone who has never been to our house before. He's overstayed his welcome. We're tired of him - ready for him to leave.

We have no idea whose body served as the initial host, but every one of us has had a personal visit (or two...or more) from him. (Some visits have been more personal than others.)

Mr. Ringworm has invaded.

Now, if you're like I was, you're probably thinking, "Ewww. A worm. Gross."

But your reaction would be based in ignorance. He's not a worm. He's a fungus that "survives by eating plant or animal material". Translation: THERE'S A MICROSCOPIC THING EATING YOU FOR BREAKFAST! The nice thing is that he's very symmetrical. He eats it in a circle or ring.

I've read up on him many times. He doesn't seem to play by the rules. At least not in our house. You're supposed to be able to get rid of him with an antifungal cream (just like his cousin, athlete's foot). I've religiously smothered him with the white stuff 3-4 times per day. In most cases it takes 6-8 weeks for him to leave a particular spot. Then, a few days after I've stopped treating him (because he's "gone"), he comes back in the exact same place.

And he's supposed to "thrive in places that are moist, hot, and hidden from the light". Now, if you were to read that in a description, where would you think he was found most often?

Exactly. Like you I immediately think ARMPIT! (What? That's not what you were thinking?)

Did any of you think, "Hmmm. Dark and moist? Of course, your CHIN!"

Evidently I must slobber a lot in the dark because he's paid a visit there at least three times.

Meke and I seem to be the hosts of choice. More than once we've been the final hope for getting rid of him once and for all. Such pressure! It's akin to being on the free throw line in a tie game with no time left. More than once we've failed the team.

So the game goes on...and on...

Six months and counting...

He's still here...

If we could only stop hugging each other maybe we'd stand a chance.

9 Comments:

At 8:04 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

Armpit was the first thing that came to my mind (okay...that may not be the truth)! :-) Even if Rhonda gets upset at this post, it was so worth it. They saying is..."A picture paints a thousand words", but in your case...your words paint quite the picture. :-)

 
At 8:34 PM , Blogger Karen said...

Oh you poor things - what a pain. My kids have dealt with this before too and nothing really seemed to do the trick until we took a vacation to the ocean - and the salt water cleared it up within a day or two, never to return. Just a suggestion for you - maybe even an epsom salt bath if the ocean is not within reach? K Wistrom

 
At 9:29 PM , Blogger Kyle Northrop said...

Go to the doctor and get something prescription. Members of my family have had reoccouring ringworm and the only solution we found was something strong. That being said I like the previous poster's soultion better.

KN

 
At 10:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too say head to the doc to get a prescription. Seems they've got some crazy fungi there in Ethiopia. I've read of an adoptive parent or two who have gotten fungi on their face/chin from their child's head...so you might want to check the girls' heads...and know you're in good company. It can be hard to see the fungus with all that beautiful curly hair. The head fungus can be hard to get rid of too. We're dealing with it here - fun times all around!

 
At 2:42 PM , Blogger Laura said...

I was a foster parent for two years and pretty much every kid we had got it (and thus us). Two recommendations: Use Lamisil AT for the cream- it works faster (in a week) than any of the others which take a month. For anyone who just keeps getting over and over, the systemic oral antifungal Griseofulvin does the trick. You have to take it for 3 weeks for it to go away and 6 weeks to have permanent relief. Your doctor can give all of you prescriptions for it!

 
At 1:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok. You have effectively ensured that you will not be getting a hug from me for quite a while. I know you are not big on hugging, but this is rather rash don't you think? No pun intended.

 
At 3:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had ringworm in high school one time and the creams (even prescription) didn't seem to work well. An old time country doctor told me to put selsun blue shampoo on it several times a day - crazy thing -it worked!!!

Sarah - getting closer to going to ET and filing this info away for future reference!

 
At 11:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man. My mom use to get ring worm a lot. There are numerous things for it. I have to agree that if it is that agressively coming back then you may want to talk with Jeremy. I pray all goes well for you. Let me know if you need help on the weekends with you home rebuild.

 
At 11:46 PM , Blogger Mommy said...

Sorry to hear that it won't give up. I got it on my chin from the head of one of our kids from Ethiopia. He needed the Grisofulvin to get rid of it - which required a new pediatrician since the first one was sure it was just dandruff. Luckily lamisil cleared up my patch... but I have a spot on my hand that keeps coming back. Best of luck to you, it's not fun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home