Friday, June 13, 2008

It's a Small, Small World

For those of you who loved the T-shirt story, this one's even better.



When we were at the orphanage in July, 2007, we snapped a picture of Neti and Meke with their best friends. However, after 10 months of living in America, we don't know their names (the girls have forgotten).

When our good friends, Seth and Apryl, traveled to Ethiopia to pick up their two adopted kids last month, we sent a stack of photos of Neti and Meke to show the orphanage workers. Among the photos was the "best friends" photo taken 10 months earlier. We had instructed Apryl to do some detective work and see if she could find out the best friends' names.



While in Ethiopia, Seth and Apryl became close with another family, the Heinrichs, who were staying in the same hotel and adopting an older child. Here's Apryl's account of her "bilingual" conversation with the Heinrich's adopted daughter, Selam:



Before we left the hotel yesterday, I had the envelope with photos of your girls in my hand in the lobby. Selam sat next to me and I thought that perhaps she would recognize the girls we were looking for. So I took out the picture of Meke and Neti with the nannies at Kids Care. Selam said the names of the nannies, and I said, "Meke, Neti...Mekdelwit and Netsanet". Selam repeated what I said. I'm just thinking she's repeating me, right? So I flip to the photo of the girls with their friends and Selam says "Meke, Neti, Me." I said, "What? Selam?" Then I looked at the picture again (I hadn't looked at it since we left). It's Selam! She's Neti's special friend from Kid's Care!



We were only hoping for a name. Now we know a whole lot more.

So here's Neti and her best friend from the orphanage, Selam.

(And to wrap it all up with a big red bow...note the shirt Neti happens to be wearing)

7 Comments:

At 10:13 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

God certainly has a plan, doesn't He? It's completely a Godthing that she sat down with the girl in the picture!

 
At 11:46 PM , Blogger Mark & Mel Harpold said...

Thanks so much for sharing all of these stories!! It is truly amazing to see God's hand in all of this!!! Too much!!
So glad to know that Neti will always be connected with her best friend from across the world!

Love,
Mel
AWAA FAM
www.ouradoptionstory-blessed.blogspot.com

 
At 12:23 AM , Blogger Carpenters said...

We got to meet Selam in the orphanage! She is such a sweet girl. It really is a small world.

With Love,
Penelope

 
At 3:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great story again.
By the way: Tsion knows Selam very well too. I showed her the picture and she was very happy to see her: 'This is Selam (I didn't tell her the girls name) and she was my friend in 'kidist' Care ;o)

(and again, she pointed at Neti's t-shirt ;o)

 
At 11:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I realize you don't know us, but just had to tell you how cool this post is!!! :D Simply amazing how God works, huh!
We love to read your posts and though we don't know you, love to follow the progress of your family. We even pray for you! :D
Take care,
Dietrich & Amy Lusse (awaa family)

 
At 11:19 AM , Blogger Sparkz said...

Thats so cool. God is great! Is this the same Selam that was on the Gladney bright futures camp?

 
At 11:25 AM , Blogger Sparkz said...

Oh and I love the picture of the Ethiopian huts at the top of the page. Its REALLY neat!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home