Thursday, July 12, 2007

Day 7 - Hair and Stuff

This afternoon after a long-needed nap, Bethany and I went to see King Menelek II's first palace in Ethiopia in the mountains overlooking Addis Ababa. It's 124 years old. Not quite what I expected for a King's palace.

The entrance to the palace!

The King's palace!

History Lesson: King Menelek kept the Italians from colonizing Ethiopia by defeating them in the Battle of Adwa (or Adowa) in 1896. It was a David defeats Goliath battle that maintained Ethiopia's sovereignty. He was also an early environmentalist. A natural resource in high demand to this day in Ethiopia is wood for cooking. The country was in danger of deforestation but Menelik introduced the fast-growing eucalyptus tree from Australia. Right next to the palace was the first eucalyptus ever planted in Ethiopia. The view overlooking the city from the mountains was amazing. However, being a hazy winter day it was hard to get a good picture.


Meanwhile, the other girls stayed back at the hotel. Rhonda doesn't know how to repair corn rows should they come desheveled on the trip home so Neti, Meke, and Kailey all got their hair braided.




6 Comments:

At 1:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cute!!! I hope you paid close attention, Rhonda!

 
At 2:00 PM , Blogger CappuccinosMom said...

Oh, what lovely girls. I got here through Ethiopia Adoption Blog.

I'm so glad you posted photos! My husband is Ethiopian and those pictures brought back a lot of memories. I know he's homesick and I would love to introduce our children to the beautiful country of Ethiopia!

 
At 2:15 PM , Blogger kikstra said...

We are so happy for you- thanks for sharing your experiences with us!!!

 
At 3:10 PM , Blogger Bekah's Granny said...

It is so much fun to read your bloggs and share in all of this. We are praying for safe travel home. You have a beautiful family. Always have it is just now a larger beautiful family.

 
At 5:25 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

Kailey...love your hair! You look great along with your two new sisters. :-) Speaking of that...Tracy, you'll have to change your profile now (you've now met your two girls!). Safe travels home! You'll be in my thoughts & prayers!

 
At 11:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rhonda, are you able to give lessons?

Tracy, I love the photos I have been sharing them with my friends...I don't know much about blogs but I am glad you have shared this with us!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home