Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Day 5 - The Mercado

This morning we visited the largest open air market in all of Africa. Maybe that's a bit misleading... After intending to shop at Africa's largest open air market we decided to just drive through. It was too intimidating.

The Mercado is basically a tighter and narrower Addis with - as Grandma would say - "more people than you can shake a stick at" buying and selling their wares (I never figured out why I'd want to shake a stick at one person let alone a lot of them.) It's so crowded that the homeless have to sleep in the median of the street (No lie! Cars and buses were passing within inches of this guy on each side. And he was one of several sleeping here.)

These pictures don't even come close to showing how crowded it was. We were told to avoid the Mercado on Wednedsays and Saturdays because that's when they get really busy!




3 Comments:

At 4:23 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

It's amazing to me how much your pictures look like my pictures of Tegucigalpa & Quebrachitos, Honduras. I'll have to show you what I mean some time. The mercado & your view from the hotel...almost exact replicas of my pics.

 
At 10:18 PM , Blogger Beth Gallagher said...

Came over from Owlhaven's blog! I'm impressed by your posting, as I have not posted in some time to mine. Haha Got back in December with our second Eth. daughter (2.5 yrs. old; her sister-home 4/05 is 5.5 yrs. old) and have not had a single moment since, it seems like. Best of luck to you and your family! I'll continue to watch your blog. Btw, I'm making lifebooks for my girls (yes, I'm tragically late in doing them) and would love to use a couple of your photos (mercado and the airport). Do you mind?

~Beth
mom to Kalkidan and Freweyni
www.taleof2@blogspot.com

 
At 11:20 PM , Blogger Bekah's Granny said...

It is so neat to be able to share all this with you via the net. You are all in our prayers. Thank you for opening your personal life for all to share in.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home