Monday, August 13, 2007

Language Update

It doesn't happen every day, but it happens fairly regularly. Neti and Meke are really beginning to amaze me with how quickly they've picked up the language. It's been just under a month. We've taught them several phrases from day one. It doesn't surprise us when they say, "May I be excused?" at the dinner table (or, in Meke's case, "May I be dis-cused?"). We taught them that phrase.

It is surprising when a collection of independently learned words form a sentence that fits the context of the conversation. We're really beginning to communicate.

Take today, for example. It was Meke's turn to pick out a video. She grabbed a video and brought it over to me and asked, "This one you like?"

"Yes, I like Babe, but Neti likes Chicken Run".

Meke replied, "Babe first, Chicken Run two" (as in "second").

Neti's picking up the language even more quickly. When Meke gets in trouble Neti now tells her what she's doing wrong in English. Today while I was at work Meke got a toy taken away from her for not sharing. When I got home I asked Meke where it was.

Neti jumped in, "Mommy and I put it away. Meke not share."

She starts kindergarten next week.

3 Comments:

At 12:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

her class will be so lucky to have her! amazing the growth in such a short time. jcn

 
At 10:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am so excited for your whole family I know Neti will be great in kindergarten. God has sure blessed your whole family! Love from me

 
At 6:22 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

While I was talking to Neti on Sunday, I was surprised at how well she's doing in the language department. And that giggle...I just can't get enough of it! It makes me laugh. At one point, the two of us were just sitting there giggling together. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home